Search This Blog

Sunday, June 29, 2014

Age 3

To all my friends that told me that age 3 is harder than age 2... 
I owe you an apology. 
Because I thought you were all liars. 
You aren't. 

Last year there was no way I could have believed you. Afterall, age 2... age 2 is insane. You have this little person that can't quite effectively communicate yet. It's super frustrating for all involved. 
And there's potty training. 
Ugh. 

I kept thinking that age 3 just had to be an improvement. I mean.. at least my little girl would be able to tell me what she needs, instead of just staring at me with those big blue eyes and crying.... Right? 
And at age 3 she would be able to use the restroom by herself (hopefully)... and I don't know... make her own lunch or something? 

But, I was wrong. 

Age 3 is a train wreck. 

She CAN communicate with me now. 
Effectively. 
That's what I wanted. But, what's the saying? Be careful what you wish for. 
Because now... now she talks ALL. THE. TIME. 
And she asks me for things ALL. THE. TIME. 
And there's a million questions EVERY. DAY. 
Oh.. and let's not forget that she can not only communicate with me, she can communicate with everyone. And she tattles on me. 
She told the cashier at the grocery store that I burped really loudly on the way there. 
She told my grandpa the color of my bra. 
She told my mom to "suck it". 

She does go potty by herself now. But, it's still a big production. And now there's a lot of "did you remember to wipe?" "Did you flush?" "Did you wash your hands?" 
It's just as time consuming as changing a diaper. 
Oh, and let's not forget the public announcements in the restroom. "Hey look! I'm pooping, Mom!!" 
And the public restroom questions, when I'm using the restroom... "Mom, are you pooping or just peeing? Is it pee? Good job, Mom!! Don't forget to wipe!" 

I thought at age 3 the tantrums would be over. 
They aren't. 
They're just more articulate. 
At age 2 there was a lot of sobbing and occasionally a total fit of rage on the floor. 
Now, at age 3... there's still sobbing... but, it's followed with: "But, I really, really, Really, REALLY want it, Mom!", "But why?? Why not? WHY NOT!?" and my personal favorite, "But, I'm your little girl and you love me more than the whole world!!" 
Telling her "No" has taken on a whole new dimension. 

I hear girls are more dramatic than boys.. and I don't know if that's really true. But, what I do know is that my daughter is super dramatic. She has a flair for it. She makes it an art form. It's truly amazing... in a highly annoying makes-me-want-to-bang-my-head-against-a-wall-kind-of-way. 

So my dear friends... all of you that warned me that age 3 is harder than age 2... you were correct. 

But, so was I. 
Because sometimes... most of the time... age 3 is kind of awesome too. 
Because she can communicate with me more effectively. She tells me that she loves me. She tells me stories about brave little girls that are also knights, that slay dragons and giants on beanstalks. 
She colors me pictures AND (bonus) I can tell what they are. 

She goes potty by herself. And that is pretty freaking sweet. 

She no longer throws food on the floor when she's done eating (now she sneaks it to the dog). 
She can put on her own clothes and shoes. 
She tells me when she needs something or when something hurts. 
She tattles on other people to me. 
She does chores. 
She learns things so quickly and everything is an adventure. 
So overall, age 3 is actually pretty cool. 

I still have friends with older kids that tell me: "Wait til she's 6, or 8, or 12, or 16" etc. etc. etc. 

And I imagine that those friends are correct. 

It probably never gets easier. For every thing our child learns and as they become more independent... there is another thing that we have to worry about. Each new year will bring new challenges. 
But, we're parents... we signed on for worry when we had our kids. It's never going to change... whether they're 3 or 53. 
It's never going to get easier... so... I guess all I can do is hang on, enjoy the ride, and do my best. 

That's all any of us can do.


-Carly

No comments:

Post a Comment